Maggi is yet another underrated word, topic or civilization whatever you call it. I don’t see an as diverse a word, a simile, an oxymoron, a hyperbole. If you require statistics you can very well wiki about it but this two minute noodle revolution has revolutionised the current India and Indians. The brand is as popular as ‘Dalda’ or ‘Nirma’. You call vegetable ghee Dalda, whatever brand you are buying. Nirma has become synonymous to washing powder; similarly Maggi has become synonymous to quick to cook noodles.
It all started with Badi Gazab ki Bhookh Lagi .. the juveniles of early nineties in India accepted it as a taste changer but gradually it became a part of their serum. Now you don’t see those ads because they are not required. They don’t need to woo anyone. Rather than a verbose para on the qualities of Maggi we would like to peep through its life cycle.
Maggie has been a very strong reason behind my existence and others’ too. You can only appreciate it if you have eaten food cooked by me.
1. Maggi is a civilization in itself. Who knows like Neanderthals or Caucasians, some umpty million years from now we might be known as Maggi Eater Civilization.
2. Maggi is a great relationship saver. There are so many couples and Flatmates around the world who are indebted to Maggi for maintenance of their adhesive or cohesive forces.
3. The Maggi is one of the root causes of India’s economic upturn. There are so many Doctors, Scientist, Engineers and Professionals around the world who got their education from far off places because of this Maggi. Imagine would Mom Mayadevi send her child Chintoo Pandey to ‘Ram Bharose Maiku Lal College of Engineering, Technology and Research’ to study Electronics and Communication Engineering in absence of Maggi. Because of Maggi she had no worries. Her kid will not die of hunger. it is a different story altogether so as to Mr. Chintoo takes how many semesters to pass an Octa-Semester course. Maggi is a reason behind sleepful nights for many a Mothers.(*The names used above are just used as common nouns and author does not intend to target or malign any Caste, Creed, Religion , Sex or Institution)
1. Maggi can be eaten, swallowed or gulped raw, cooked or half cooked.
2. Its masala can be taken on the left palm and you can use index finger of your right hand to lick it for hours. It’s the same taste every time. Only a very few other licks are as likable as this lick.
3. Some people have a unique way of eating it. Crush the Maggi in the packet itself. Mix masala in it and shake it well so that it gets homogenously mixed. Now enjoy no cooking, no gas, no pan, and no utensils to wash.
4. If you have decided to cook it, the Microwave route might be the easier one. Although if you believe in unwashed pan reuse, you can go to the pan route also.
5. Whatever be the route, Maggi is best eaten in the pot it was cooked. You can hold the Pan or the Microwave Bowl by its handle and roam around in the living room, watch TV and enjoy it.
I think when Maggi was born it was written in its destiny thou shalt be eaten in the same pot in which you will be cooked.
6. There is no restriction on amount of water. If less it is called dry Maggi if more it is called soup Maggi. It preserves its taste in all forms of matter solid, liquid or gaseous.
7. Maggi is a great leveller. From peon to the CEO all eat, cook and like Maggi in similar ways. It has a unique style for getting eaten. It hangs itself on one end of the fork and its noodles slide and some of them also drop from the fork. In this process the masala water or so called curry of Maggi drips drop by drop from the end point of its hanging noodles. It is the time when you put your other hand as a scoop beneath these hanging gardens of Babylonia and swwwoooop all the tiny droplets of Maggi masala water. This is an immense pleasure and only the one who does it knows it.
I think my life is very short to write hymns and praise of Maggi. But one should do it every morning to pay tribute to the driver of this civilization. Well, right now I have got an idea to write a Maggi-Chalisa’ and it will be available to all Maggi lovers.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Posted by suprem trivedi at 7:36 PM